Unwrap and remove all parts from the box. Keep the box and packing material until the product is assembled. In case of return or exchange, failure to return product in similar condition as received could result in limited reimbursement. Please save sales receipt as proof of purchase for warranty purposes. Check to ensure you have all the parts below. To protect the finish of your Pet Home and the bottom pan, use only mild, non-abrasive cleaners and water. Any course scrubbing or abrasive materials could damage the finish.
Note: Although it can be assembled by one person, due to the size, you may find it easier to assemble Ferret Nation with two able people. While no tools will be required, you may also find a rubber mallet helpful while connecting the pieces together.
The Top Panel from the assembled cage will be removed and used as the top to the add-on unit. The included Middle Grid Panel (D) will be put in place of the existing Top Panel.
If you are adding onto a fully assembled Model 161, 162, 181, or 182, you will need to disassemble a small part of the cage. If you are adding this unit while you are assembling a Model 161, 162, 181, or 182, skip to Step 2.
Ferret Nation 183 Add-On Unit Parts IdentIfIcatIon
A – Door Panel – Large rectangular panel with (1) doors and latch knobs.
B – Back Panel – Large rectangular panel without doors.
C – Side Panel (2) – Smaller rectangular panel with protruding locking tabs at the top and hole for Swivel Lock (0)
D – Middle Floor Panel Grid – Large rectangular mesh panel with cut out
E – Middle Pan – Plastic tray with cut out that fits in the middle of the cage.
F – Shelf – Wire Structure with plastic shelf pan.
G – Ramp (2), Clips (2), and Covers (2) – Wire ramp for access from one level to the other. (Note: There is a slight bend in the middle, this is intentional.) Clips attach Ramp to Shelf and reversible Covers slip over the ramp.
H – Flat Head Screws (2)
I – Swivel Locks (2)
J – Phillips Head Screwdriver
Ferret Nation 183 Add-On Unit Assembly InstructIons
1. Remove the Top Panel Grid from the existing cage. Set the Top Panel Grid aside fo use later.
2. Locate the Door Panel (A) and insert the pegs into the outer-most holes of the Base Assembly. The Door Panel should be inserted on the side of the stand that has the two locking casters. Be sure the door locking knobs face outward.
3. Locate the Middle Floor Panel Grid (D) and insert the protruding wires into the corresponding holes of the Door Panel. Orientate the panel so the opening is either in the back-right or front left of the cage.
4. Locate the Back Panel (B) and insert one peg in one of the back, outer-most holes. Be sure the protruding rectangular openings are facing inward. While slightly lifting the Middle Floor Panel Grid, swing the other end of the back panel around, aligning the protruding wires of the Grid with the holes in the Back Panel. When they are all lined up and inserted, put the peg in the outer-most hole.
5. Locate the remaining two Side Panels (C), two Swivel Locks (I), and two Flat Head Screws (H). Using the Phillips Head Screwdriver and flat head screws attach one Swivel Lock to each of the Side Panels. (Do not tighten all the way). Attach the Side Panels by inserting the pegs into the holes between the Door and Back Panels. Be sure the cut-outs on the bottom go around the protruding wires of the Bottom Floor Panel Grid. Insert the protruding tabs at the top of the panels into the protruding openings in the Door and Back Panels to lock the panels together.
6. Lay the Top Panel Grid on the top of the assembled Cage. Line up the panel so the pegs in the corner line up with the openings in the corners of the assembled cage. To secure the Top Panel, swing the Swivel Lock around the wire of the Top Panel till tight in place. It may be easier to open doors and swing Swivel Lock from side of cage. Open the doors by pinching the knobs on the doors together. Once Swivel Lock is in place, tighten Flat Head Screw.
7. Insert the Middle Pan (E) in the upper unit. Be sure the cut-out is positioned to match the opening in the Middle Panel Grid Floor.
Note: The Shelves, in conjunction with the Side Panels, can be positioned at 3 different levels on either side of the cage.
8. Locate one Shelf (F). With the doors in the top unit open, tilt the Shelf down and insert the end of the hook in the middle holes on the right side of the top unit. Lift the Shelf up and let hook fall into place.
9. Install a Ramp (G) that will allow access from one level to the next. Attach the hooks on the end of the ramp to the back wire in the opening of the Middle Panel Grid. (If needed, remove the shelf from the unit below before installing the ramp.)
10. This ramp has the ability to be secured in the “up” position to section off the top level from the bottom level. Before inserting the Shelf in the bottom unit, swing this ramp up and hook it with the attached “S” hook. Reinstall Shelf in lower unit as in Step 9.
11. Attach the Ramp Clips to the shelf ramp by inserting the two hooks on the ramp into the holes on the Ramp Clips. The hooks on the ramp and the hooks on the Ramp Clips should be facing the same direction.
12. Attach the Ramps to the Shelves by hooking the Ramp Clips to the wire on the Shelf as illustrated. The lip of the plastic Shelf pan will cover the Ramp Clips.
MidWest Homes for Pets 183 Ferret Nation Add-On Unit Unique Features
Removable, Plastic Less Mess Shelf pan can easily be lifted off for cleaning
Reversible, Washable, “Happy Feet” Ramp Cover is included. It slips easily, but securely, over the ramp. Be sure to slip on each cover starting from the bottom of the ramp so the ramp hooks are exposed at the top.
No-Doubt Door Latches The squeeze point latches are easy for humans to operate, but impossible for pets! When closing and latching the doors, be sure the spring-loaded rods have been fully inserted into the holes in the door frame. To help make this easier, there is a plate at the top and the bottom in the middle of the door frame. This will line up the door so the rod will fit right into the holes.
Accessory Hangers You’ll notice a number of loops on the underside of the shelves. These convenient loops are for attaching toys, hammocks, tubes, etc.
Another Full Level Floor? Install 2 shelves directly across from each other, and it will create another full level.
Locking Casters The front casters can be locked to prevent any unwanted movement of the cage.
Out Of The Way The ramp which allows access between the top level and the bottom level can be secured in the up position to separate pets, or to keep them out of the way while cleaning and feeding.
Removable Doors The Critter Nation cage allows you the option of totally removing each door. Open the door and lift the door straight up.
Last Updated on March 30, 2022