Last Updated on December 12, 2021
Ferret Nation 181 Parts Identification
A Door Panel (1) – Large rectangular panel with (1) doors and latch knobs
B Back Panel – Large rectangular panel without doors
C Side Panel (2) – Smaller rectangular panel with protruding locking tabs at the top and hole for Swivel Lock (0)
D Top Panel Grid – Large rectangular panel with cone shaped connecting pins on all 4 corners
E Bottom Shelf Grid – Large rectangular mesh panel with wider spacing between the wires
F Bottom Floor Panel Grid – Large rectangular mesh panel
G Bottom Pan – Plastic tray that fits in the bottom of cage
H Shelf – Wire structure with plastic shelf pan
I Ramp (1), Clips (2), and Cover (1) – Wire ramp for access from one level to the other. (Note: There is a slight bend in the middle. This is intentional.) Clips attach Ramp to Shelf and reversible Cover slips over the ramp.
J Base: Side Supports (2) – Main structural components for the base
K Base: Base Supports (4) – Two with multiple holes, Two without holes
L Casters (4) – Two locking, two non-locking
M Phillips Head Bolts (8) with (8) Washers
N Flat Head Screws (2)
O Swivel Locks (2)
P Phillips Head Screwdriver
Ferret Nation 181 Assembly Instructions
**NOTE: Although the Ferret Nation can be assembled by one person, due to size, you may find it easier assembled with two people. A rubber mallet is also recommended.
1. Locate the Side Supports for the Base (J), two Base Supports, one with multiple holes and one without holes (K), and four Phillips Head Bolts with four washers (M). Orientate the Side Supports so the side with the holes in the tubes face inward and are at the bottom. Attach the Base Supports with multiple holes to the bottom of the Side Supports and attach the Base Support without holes to the top by screwing a Phillips Head Bolt with Washer to outside of each Side Support.
2. Slightly separate the open ends of the base to allow the Bottom Shelf Grid (E) to fit in. Align the protruding wires with the holes in the base. Pull sides back together.
3. Attach the remaining Base Supports (K) to the Side 3 Supports by screwing a Phillips Head Bolt with Washer to the outside of each Side Support. The Base Support with multiple holes aligns with Bottom Shelf Grid.
4. Locate the 4 Casters (L- 2 locking, 2 non-locking). Insert the post of the caster into the pre-inserted sleeve in the bottom of the Base. Be sure that the 2 locking casters are on one long side, and the 2 non-locking casters are on the opposite side. To fully secure the casters in the sleeves, push the caster in by hand or push down on the frame of the stand with your hand or foot. (Note: The side with both locking casters will now become the “front” of the cage.)
5. Locate the Door Panel (A) and insert the pegs into the outer-most holes of the Base Assembly. The Door Panel should be inserted on the side of the stand that has the two locking casters. Be sure the door locking knobs face outward.
6. Locate the Bottom Floor Panel Grid (F) and insert the protruding wires into the corresponding holes of 7 the Door Panel. Be sure the wires that run front to back on the grid are on the top.
7. Locate the Back Panel (B) and insert one peg in one of the back, outer-most holes. Be sure the protruding rectangular openings are facing inward. While slightly lifting the Bottom Floor Panel Grid, swing the other end of the back panel around, aligning the protruding wires of the Grid with the holes in the Back Panel. When they are all lined up and inserted, put the peg in the outer-most hole.
8. Locate the two Side Panels (C) two Swivel Locks (O), and two Flat Head Screws (N). Using the Phillips Head Screwdriver (P) and flat head screws, attach one Swivel Lock to each of the Side Panels. (Do not tighten all the way.)
9. Attach the two Side Panels by inserting the pegs into the holes between the Door and Back Panels. Be sure the cut-outs on the bottom go around the protruding wires of the Bottom Floor Panel Grid. Insert the protruding tabs at the top of the panels into the protruding openings in the Door and Back Panels to lock the panels together.
10. Locate the Top Panel Grid (D). Lay the Top Panel Grid on the top of the assembled Cage. Line up the panel so the pegs in the corner line up with the openings in the corners of the assembled cage. To secure the Top Panel, swing the Swivel Locks around the wires of the Top Panel till tight in place. It may be easier to open doors and swing Swivel Lock from inside of cage. Open the doors by pinching the knobs on the doors together. Once Swivel Lock is in place, tighten Flat Head Screw.
11. Insert the Bottom Pan (G) in the bottom of the unit.
12. Locate the Shelf (H). With the doors in the top unit open, tilt the Shelf down and insert the end of the hook in the middle holes on the right side of the top unit. Lift the Shelf up and let hook fall into place.
13. Attach the Ramp Clips to the ramp by inserting the two hooks on the ramp into the holes on the Ramp Clips. The hooks on the ramp and the hooks on the Ramp Clips should be facing the same direction.
14. Attach the ramp to the Shelf by hooking the Ramp Clips to the wire on the Shelf as illustrated. The lip of the plastic Shelf pan will cover the Ramp Clips.
Note: The Shelves, in conjunction with the Side Panels, can be positioned at 3 different levels on either side of the cage.
Unique Features Of Ferret Nation 181 Ferret Cage
Removable, Plastic Less-Mess Shelf pan can easily be lifted off for cleaning.
Reversible, Washable, “Happy Feet” Ramp Cover is included. It slips easily, but securely, over the ramp. Be sure to slip on each cover starting from the bottom of the ramp so the ramp hooks are exposed at the top.
No-Doubt Door Latches The squeeze point latches are easy for humans to operate, but impossible for pets! When closing and latching the doors, be sure the spring-loaded rods have been fully inserted into the holes in the door frame. To help make this easier, there is a plate at the top and the bottom in the middle of the door frame. This will line up the door so the rod will fit right into the holes.
Accessory Hangers You’ll notice a number of loops on the underside of the shelves. These convenient loops are for attaching toys, hammocks, tubes, etc.
Another Full Level Floor? Install 2 shelves directly across from each other, and it will create another full level.
Locking Casters The front casters can be locked to prevent any unwanted movement of the cage.
Out Of The Way The ramp which allows access between the top level and the bottom level can be secured in the up position to separate pets, or to keep them out of the way while cleaning and feeding.
Removable Doors The Critter Nation cage allows you the option of totally removing each door. Open the door and lift the door straight up.